Solid waste can be hazardous and non-hazardous materials that are solid in nature. Such wastes are generated from industrial, residential, agricultural and mining activities and should be properly managed to prevent detrimental effect on public health and the environment. Improper solid waste management will cause pollution of surface water, groundwater, land and air. Deleterious effect of environmental pollution by solid wastes include:
- Unpleasant odours
- Increased growth of pathogenic microbes in the environment that may infect humans, animals and plants
- Negative effect on fish and other aquatic animals through slow release of hazardous chemicals in solid waste leachates into aquatic environment
- Wildlife habituation
- Poor environment aesthetic
Generative HSE provides pre-project waste planning to prevent poor environmental performance. We can help your organization to develop programs for managing the following wastes:
- General waste (residential recyclables, compost/organic and garbage).
- Hazardous recyclable waste.
- Non-hazardous recyclable waste.
- Development and mapping of waste collection & management plans.
- Development of waste management procedures/policies.
- Monitoring waste management.
- Advisory services regarding applicable legislations.